Indonesia is one of the countries with the best wood commodities in the world. There are so many types of quality wood that suitable to processed into furniture, and one of the woods is sandalwood. Sandalwood has very distinctive characteristics compared to other types of wood so that it is always in demand. Want to know more about the characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of sandalwood for furniture and other products?
Some of the characteristics that distinguish sandalwood and other types of wood are:
- Sandalwood (Santalum album L.) is a parasitic plant that requires a host to live. The types of hosts that are usually the place to live for sandalwood are acacia, reeds, albasia, and inga. Because it is a parasite, the sandalwood tree breeding process is difficult and time-consuming.
- There are two types of sandalwood trees based on the variety, they are white sandalwood and red sandalwood. White sandalwood is more hunted because it has a very fragrant aroma compared to red sandalwood. The original habitat of white sandalwood is in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) area, while red sandalwood grows mostly in the Indian and Funan areas.
- Sandalwood can grow to 11 to 15 meters height with 25 to 30 cm diameter.
- The stem is round brown, while the inside is yellow-brown.
This type of tree has red flowers with 4 to 5 petals and round fruit that purplish black in color.
- Sandalwood (in Indonesia known as Cendana) contains essential oils with levels of 4%-8%.
Until nowadays, Sandalwood is still hunted by many people because of a number of advantages, including:
- The aroma is very distinctive so that it can be used as the basis for aromatherapy. This feature is clearly different compared to other types of wood which are completely unscented.
- The texture of sandalwood is very smooth and suitable as furniture material. All furniture from this type of wood will look luxurious and unique because it produces a distinctive aroma.
- The color characteristics are very interesting because they are similar to sulfur yellow. The color is very striking and unique compared to other woods which are usually brown and reddish.
- Its weight is not too heavy so it can produce kind of furniture that is easy to move.
- The shrinkage rate is low if it is processed properly before used as the basic material for furniture.
In addition to have various advantages, sandalwood also has several disadvantages.
- Its size is small compared to other types of wood (eg teak which can reach 2 meters in diameter). This size limitation makes sandalwood sheets can only processed into small furniture. Sandalwood must be joined in such a way to produce large furniture.
- The price is quite expensive because the quantity is rare and fought over by many people.
- The sandalwood process to produce quality furniture is also very complicated. This complicated process aims to produce sturdy wood, and not easily damaged.
Besides used as a basic material for furniture, sandalwood is usually also processed into various products, for example:
- The basic ingredients of perfume and aromatherapy oil.
- One of the raw materials for skincare products that functions to smooth the skin and remove black spots naturally.
- Herbal medicine that useful for treating dysentery, anti-inflammatory, and cleaning the uterus after menstruation.
- Hand-crafted materials such as prayer beads, fans, and bracelets.
- Window frames and door frames.
If you like soothing natural scents, sandalwood furniture can be the right choice to enhance the interior of your home. Choose the best furniture that is strong, durable, and suit with your family like.